Tuesday, December 7, 2010

OVERALL

When I first started this new class project, my ideas of it were much different than they are now.  I was very unsure of what id' really be like.  As I stared the project, my ideas quickly shifted.


From this experience I have learned several new things that I would not have otherwise.  Only a few specific components truly stood out to me though.


First off, it is helpful to act environmentally friendly in all and as many ways as possible, even if you don't feel the personal effects.  At the Urban Ecology Center they promote the idea of "acting locally,  thinking globally."  Every little bit really does help, and the world will change if everyone does their part to help make the world a better place.


There are more than one way to help out.  Everyone thinks of the usual planting of a tree or recycling their bottles, but in reality there is so much more.  All anyone needs to do is just get out there and open there eyes, opportunities are everywhere.  I never knew of this park, but because of the class it opened my eyes to just one more opportunity to help.


Finally, and most importantly, volunteer work can be fun! Sure, waking up early isn't always the best, but it is worth it.  In the end, the feeling you get makes it worth while, and you're never alone it it.  I've met several new people through this experience, which is another important part in life.  Not only did volunteering at the Urban Ecology Center teach me how to respect our earth, but it also introduced me to new friendly people, not so different from myself.


-Melissa Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment