Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Refection of my Service Learning Experience


My overall experience volunteering at the Urban Ecology Center was something I will never forget. When I first heard we had to do a service learning project, I wasn’t too happy and I didn’t know what to expect. But after the first day I felt better about myself that I was able to help the environment that I live in. I never knew that Milwaukee had organizations like this. I believe the Urban Ecology Center is a great way for people to get involved within their community. If every city has a program where kids are able to volunteer some of their time, I think the world will slowly become a better place. It would open people’s eyes and they can see what they have been missing out on. You don’t know how bad or damaged the environment really is until you get involved.

We did many different tasks at the Urban Ecology Center such as planting trees, weeding, and planting grasses. I have never planted a tree before so that was probably my favorite memory at the Urban Ecology Center. I have weeded before with my mom in the garden but I never really understood why she did it, except for showing her flowers and plants off. But weeding actually allows other meaningful plants to grow out their roots.

More people should get involved volunteering at places that help the environment. It’s actually a lot of fun and you get to meet a lot of nice people along the way. I mean, how many times are you doing nothing or watching TV? Instead of doing that stuff, take 2 hours out of your day and do something good for the environment!! I am glad I was able to take this geography class, because I actually learned a lot about the environment and how dangerous things are getting.

Volunteering at the Urban Ecology Center made me look at life through a different perspective. I know think about the environment and ways to keep it clean. I also learned how to tell what different kinds of plants are and I was never able to do that before. There are so many different kinds of plant tools that I’ve never seen or used before so it was a good experience getting to use those tools.

People need to understand that they are part of the environment and what they do effects how we live. From my volunteer experience I am now going GREENER and informing others about how they can make an impact on the environment as well.

Posted By Cheyanne Clure

No comments:

Post a Comment