Sunday, December 5, 2010

Reflection on My Service Learning at Urban Ecology Center

     I was joyful and eager to volunteer at the Urban Ecology Center.  Each week my tasks always varied in degree of specialty.  My first day at UEC consisted of planting trees on a cold rainy day! This was probably my greatest and most difficult task while working with UEC.  I had never planted a tree before and this was a beautiful experience.
    Before going into this I had little knowledge about weeding, pulling out dead parts of a plant and about using only native species of plants, only native to Wisconsin.  This was a new idea to me, but once Joel explained that native trees/plants are what people must plant (native only to their specific state) should use.  Whether large or small tasks, the UEC always taught me something that I can carry on out into the world and put into praxis.
     I would personalize and state that the UEC mission statement is 'think local, act global'.  The UEC is an environmental education resource center seeking to educate the youth, adults and elders of Milwaukee and other surrounding communities to partake in everyday, learning about the environment and ecology.  One must truly remember that healing Mother Nature, is like a drop in an ocean, one small drop at a time makes all the difference to the ocean, and we, as humans are a part of this grandiose equation with saving the environment. 


     Each person must remember they are a part of the environment too. We must start with little changes in our mundane existence, use less water, use less plastic.. the List could go on. I have learned from the UEC, one cannot think that over-night they are going to 'save the world'. I am taking small steps to help save Pacha Mama!


One small change will help the environment. You and I can make a difference in making our Earth Green!

     Volunteering at the UEC has made me a better person and has helped me once again understand the intricate beauty that Earth is. I am making small changes in order to make an impact upon the Earth! I am planning on going back to the UEC in Spring of 2011 to help out with the Arboretum.  The UEC truly practiced what they preached, they were Eco-friendly & Green and educating others each and every day!!


Posted and Written by: Callie Beth Angsten

No comments:

Post a Comment