Saturday, December 4, 2010

Reflection on my Service Learning

Wellll, after completing all my service learning hours with the Urban Ecology Center, I've been able to reflect on all the things I learned through the experience.  My last day at the UEC involved the removal of buckthorn trees (an invasive species the UEC is attempting to eradicate).  As discussed in a previous post, buckthorn is rampant throughout Wisconsin, which decreases our overall biodiversity.  It also leaves native species less area to grow in, and the UEC less area to plant in.  So we spent a few hours removing as much as we could! 


Another project we worked on was the moving and storing of piles of burlap bags.  The UEC acquired a bunch of these burlap sacks, which I at first had no idea what their interest was in a bunch of bags.  I found out as we were working that they use the bags to prevent landslides!  Which I thought was a pretty great use for those old bags.  They lay them down against a sloping hill, or an area which has the potential for large amounts of erosion.  This reinforces the bank, and prevents the soil and trees from sliding downhill.


I also helped water a new "edible food forest" the UEC planted and is very excited about.  Basically, the UEC planted a bunch of trees, all of which will bear edible fruit.  Apples, plums, pears, and some berries as well.  They hope to harvest the fruit and have it available to any passer-by who needs a bite to eat!


The overarching them which links all the work I helped out with at the UEC is simple sustainability.  They are very good at developing very uncomplicated solutions to make big changes in the community, specifically with our ecosystem!  The projects they had us volunteers engage in were simple, yet satisfying and fulfilling!  At the end of the day, the task, whether difficult or menial, gave me a sense of accomplishment and productivity.  All the small changes and steps the UEC takes are all steps toward a brighter ecosystem for the Milwaukee area.


--Eric Anderson--

No comments:

Post a Comment