Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Welcome To The Urban Ecology Center!

At first, i'll admit, the idea of waking up early to volunteer at a park for class didn't sound all that appealing to me.  Monday the 20th at night, I thought about what the next day may be like.  I would be waking up at 7:30, and meeting two girls that I had just met.  Sure, we didn't know one another very well, but we had to start somewhere.  We would walk together to this park, and I pictured myself doing some type of hard outdoor labor.  I knew It had to be done, but I wasn't overly excited for it.


As it turns out, the start of the morning was just as I had planned, which made me nervous.  I woke up early to a chilling morning, and prepared to leave.  Luckily, the morning took a quick turn for the better.  The two girls, both older than myself, were not indimidating at all, but rather fun and very nice.  I quickly felt more comftorable as we talked the entire walk there.


As we arrived at the park, the other people there were quite friendly themselves.  I signed in, and we began to work.  Nothing at all how I imagined, the work was nothing that I couldn't handle.  My first day included watering newly planted shrubs and flowers, which is definetely something that I can handle.
As the few hours ended, I felt satisfied in what I had done.  Working with friends to better the environment really isn't such an undesirable task, and I knew personally that next time would be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment